As a person ages, they’re slowly deprived of many abilities they might have once taken for granted. This is as natural as aging itself, and can be seen as a new adventure to embark on by the more optimistic ones at that age. Indeed, many seem to welcome it with open arms, intent on finally lying back and letting someone else do the heavy lifting. Of course, this doesn’t mean they don’t strive to still make themselves as comfortable as possible. To not do so would be the opposite of natural, and against basic human nature. This endeavor for a more comfortable and relaxing retirement is further helped on by the heaps upon heaps of products being sold to enhance one’s limited capabilities, for example electric wheelchairs and bath lifts.
In this post we’ll be covering wheelchair cushions. Wheelchairs are a wildly simple and popular item, greatly enhancing one’s mobility. A lot of thought goes into buying a wheelchair; it needs to suit your weight, your specific needs and the type of surfaces it’s required to traverse every day, and usually also be designed for your unique disability. You also have the option of having a custom wheelchair built just for you, tailored to your needs and catering to your whims. After all this has been taken care of, you have to decide on what kind of wheelchair cushion you require. This part of the wheelchair is just as important as the wheels on the chair themselves. You are going to be sitting on the wheelchair for long periods of time, especially if transferring yourself to your bed is difficult without assistance, and so you’re going to be needing a cushion that takes care of your back for you, stops it from aching, and makes sure you don’t damage your spine.
So, what should you look for when buying a cushion for a wheelchair? Well, first of course you should simply decide upon what type of cushion you want. You can go for a basic foam cushion, which are reliable because there’s no risk of leaks, but also wear out quickly with extended long-term use. Alternatively, you can go for a gel cushion. These comfortable little cushions have a layer of gel spread over the foam, separate of course. Though comfortable, they run the risk of tearing and leaking the gel out of the cushion and also add weight to the wheelchair. These are great for people whose muscles have atrophied due to lack of or inability to use them.
There are also air cushion variants. These have nothing but air inside them. They might feel extremely comfortable to some, but they’re not for people who move around a lot in their seat as they will keep falling into uncomfortable postures. Lastly, there are the specially designed urethane honeycomb wheelchair cushions. Utilizing a honeycomb pattern, these cushions spread the weight equally on their surface and stop air from escaping. These cushions are pretty lightweight too, unlike the gel variants, and can absorb shocks better than any other type of cushion.
Once you have found the type you want, you also need to look out for a few other features. One very obvious one is no doubt the size of the cushion. You don’t want a small cushion which leads to you falling off of one side on to the wheelchair below. Similarly, you don’t want a cushion that’s too large for your wheelchair, as it won’t fit properly and the raised sides stuffed tightly into the chair will be uncomfortable to your hips. After you have found the right size, you might want to take a look at the construction of the cushion itself. Some cushions are completely plain and basic in their looks; flat and featureless. Some people might prefer these types of cushions on their wheelchair because of no extra force being exerted on any side of their back, or simply because of an elegant look coupled with the right wheelchair.
If not a plain cushion, you can find a range of other types with various kinds of designs. Some cushions have a puffy surface, others might curve a bit in just the right spots, and yet others come with holes that lead to a less exertive and airier seat. And when you have decided on the shape or texture, you can finally look at the material that you want. Do you want a soft, cloth cushion or a stiffer and more luxurious leather one? Perhaps you also desire a cushion with antibacterial properties, so you can avoid the accumulation of germs and diseases on your wheelchair when sitting in it for extended periods of time. There are also cushions with a slightly raised back to provide support to your tailbone.
Finally, you will want to look into how thick a cushion you desire. If you have a light figure, a thin cushion will serve you just fine and a thicker one might feel too rigid. If you’re a bit on the heavier side, a thicker cushion will make sure you don’t touch the bottom of the wheelchair through the cushion and hurt your spine.
We’ve compiled a diverse list of the various wheelchair cushions you can buy right now so you can browse through them and maybe reach a decision. Some of the nicer wheelchair cushions you can get are:
- Smooth and thick PVC covering that’s easy to clean and waterproof.
- A large hole in the center, might be what someone is comfortable with.
- Thickness can be varied by inflating or deflating the cushion.
- Absorbs weight and provides a comfortable sitting experience.
- Comes with an air pump in the box.
- Multipurpose cushion, can be used on a wheelchair as well as a toilet seat or a bed.
- Comfortable cushion that combines the gel and honeycomb variations of cushions.
- Pleasant to sit on and can be used on all kinds of chairs or surfaces.
- Honeycomb design lets air flow equally through the cushion letting it remain cool.
- Keeps the back in good condition and doesn’t let the joints sore.
- Retains its shape even after extended use.
- Evenly distributes the body weight and doesn’t pressure the back.
- Decent size allows it to fit most chairs comfortably.
- Comes with a waterproof cover so that the cushion can be carried around with you wherever you go.
- Layer of non-liquid gel helps cushion maintain shape and remain soft and comfortable.
- Donut shaped cushion suits a lot of people’s preferences.
- Great for extended periods of use, especially with the coupled U-shaped cushion for your neck and head.
- Small size makes it a great cushion in terms of portability.
- Comfortable, soft foam with a layer of gel provides a cool and pleasantly relieving sitting experience.
- Premium foam is topped with a layer of cooling gel.
- Excellent for long term usage as it does not wear out or lose its shape.
- The cooling gel coupled with the foam gives your backside a comfortable, pain-free, and cool seat to relax on.
- Durable foam used, which makes sure the cushion does not flatten over time.
- Can be used on any kind of chair in addition to wheelchairs.
- Center hole and thick cushion provide relief for tailbone or hemorrhoids pain.
- Non-slip cover makes sure the cushion doesn’t slide around and stays in place.
- Cushion cover can be easily removed for washing.
- Honeycomb design spreads body weight equally and keeps the airflow equivalent through the cushion.
- With equally distributed body weight you will find that your joints don’t hurt after long sitting periods.
- Double gel design helps keep the seat in shape and provides you with a cool surface that doesn’t heat up.
- Ergonomically designed shape keeps your back and spine in great condition and makes sure they don’t hurt.
- Portable and lightweight, this cushion is great for multipurpose and diverse use.
- Unique seat interior design eliminates back pain by evenly distributing your weight over the cushion.
- Enhanced weight distribution allows your joints to relax and not hurt even after extended sitting sessions.
- Structure composed of cooling gel keeps your backside cool and the air flowing equally through the cushion.
- High quality build material retains its original shape and comfort even after hours of use.
- Non-slip covering keeps the cushion in place and stops it from sliding across the seat.
- Built-in carry handles allow the cushion to be transported around easily and conveniently.
- The zipper makes the covering’s removal and washing extremely simple.
- Made of 100% polyester.
- Raised cushion for people who desire to sit up higher in their chair.
- Ergonomic design suited for human anatomy, providing a comfortable support while seated.
- Multipurpose cushion can be used anywhere on any kind of seat.
- Absorbs weight and distributes it evenly among the seat, reducing pressure on your back.
- Soft and high-quality cotton interior provides you with a luxurious sitting experience.
- Useable on all kinds of seats.
- Great for reducing back pain or pain from hemorrhoids and ulcers.
- Soft cushion made of high-quality durable materials that last a long time.
- Specially designed and specifically made to counter positioning problems.
- Helpful for patients facing problems associated with sacral sitting.
- Raised portion allows for legs to be over it and the man to sit in a position maintaining pelvic neutrality.
- Non-slip cover keeps cushion in place on the seat.
- Coupled with the non-slip cover, safety ties make sure the cushion stays in place on the seat.
- Comes with a MOSAIC cushion, an air pump, a repair kit, and instructions.
- Allows for extremely long periods of sitting while protecting your skin.
- Special airflow technology keeps the cushion comfortable at all times.
- Shapes itself according to your figure so you can sit comfortably.
- Available in varying sizes.
- Constructed to fit your body perfectly.
- Cushion cover is moisture-proof and easy to clean.
- High quality foam that provides you with superior comfort.
- Cushion moves with body, reducing risk of tears as well as heating up due to friction.
- Easily installable covers that simply slip on to the cushions.
- Lightweight and portable cushion.
- Specifically designed for people with skin-breakdown problems.
- Custom fit and modification provided.
- Adjustable material slowly adapts to each individual and their unique figure.
- Extremely light and easy to carry around.
- Cushion cover can be washed in a washing machine.
- Cushion can be cleaned with water and soap.
- Flame resistant and can be patched or repaired up to extend use.
- Optimal product for patients with soft skin problems.
That was our list of a diverse range of cushions intended for wheelchair and other use. There are a ton of options to choose from and we barely even scratched the surface, though we made sure to deliver to you what was at the top of the pile. A lot will depend on your needs, wants, and budget, but we’re sure you’ll find the perfect mix.