Falling down is a serious and constant worry for people looking after old family members or tending to elderly patients. And these concerns are not unwarranted, as it’s more common than you might think. Each year, more than one out of four elderly people (those 65 years of age or above) fall down and sustain an injury. The CDC states that around three million elderly are treated at emergency departments each year for injuries resulting from and pertaining to falling down. Alarming numbers though they are, you aren’t completely defenseless when tending to people prone to falling down. There have been a number of commercial products available for years now, intended to help you tackle the challenging task of looking after the elderly and relieving some of the hardships you might have to face. These can range from bed rails and safety floor mats to panic buttons and bath lifts, all meticulously designed and assembled to aid you in various tasks as you go about your day with a loved one in need of assistance in tow.
In this post we will be exclusively reviewing the best, sturdiest, and easy to grip grab bars for the bathrooms in your house which the elderly might frequent. Having a grab bar installed in your bathroom is a surefire way to minimalize the risk of someone tripping on the wet floor and suffering a serious injury. These aren’t just handy for older people who aren’t as springy as they used to be, but are also recommended for every person in the house. Wet floors are an unavoidable hazard in bathrooms, and it always helps to have a friend in precarious environments.
There are multiple designs available when you look for a safety grab bar to add to your bathroom, and it all comes down to what you actually need one for when you decide on a purchase. First you need to know what the main purpose of installing a grab bar in your bathroom will be. Do you need it to prevent falls, and thus it should be designed to be instantly graspable. Do you require a bar that someone can hold on to and lean on when showering to support themselves? Do you perhaps need a grab bar that can aid a person with entering and exiting the bathtub?
There are simple, straight rod grab bars for a minimalistic approach, designed to be grabbed in a hurry when in danger of falling. There are also angled bars which provide a sturdier grip even when wet as the hand can slide across it when slipping. There are also grab bars that can be mounted on to a bathtub to aid in climbing over the tub’s edge. Then there are also bars that attach to the floor as well as the wall to help you lean on them while standing in the shower. If your landlord prohibits drilling, you can always go for grab bars that use suction cups to cling to the wall, though with the caveat that these won’t work well on tiled walls.
Then of course there’s the whole discussion of style. There are all kinds of groovy grab bars which help uplift the décor of your bathroom and blend in with the surrounding fixtures. There are also bars that can be flipped up and down, allowing for them to be stowed away so as not to stand out when they’re not needed. After that, it’s up to you which color and material you take a liking to. There are stainless steel grab bars but nylon and plastic ones are available too.
Here we’ve compiled a list of all the different grab bars we’ve mentioned and the best products you can order right now.
- Extremely affordable grab bar.
- Made of durable and sturdy 304 stainless steel.
- Enhancing bathroom safety and instilling confidence for greater independence
- This shower grab bars can safely support up to 500 lbs of pull force.
- Easy to install and available in various sizes.
- Affordable grab bar that gets the job done.
- Uses suction cups and does not require drilling.
- Contoured rubber provides a comfortable Non Slip Grip
- Easy to install, no screws, no nails, no tools, easy installation.
- Causes no damage to the surfaces it is mounted to.
- Can be easily and conveniently repositioned at will.
- Special T-shape Design
- Available in different lengths to suit your needs.
- Comes in various finishes and styles to suit any kind of bathroom.
- Made of solid brass. Sturdy and looks pretty.
- Polished gold finish looks extremely pleasing to the eye.
- Mounts securely to the wall and can support heavy people.
- Durable, strong stainless steel.
- Supports extremely heavy weights.
- Huge selection of length sizes to choose from.
- Easy and simple installation.
- Attractive chrome finish.
- Beautiful, sleek modern design that doesn’t stand out like an eyesore.
- Easy installation leads to a quick setup lasting just minutes.
- Sharp, eye catching modern design.
- Option to buy in differing lengths.
- Corrosion and rust-free stainless steel construction with durability in mind.
- Comfortable width for grabbing on to.
- Supports really heavy weights.
- Edge covers hide screw placement and finish up the attractive look.
- Beautiful chrome finish gives a certain finesse to your bathroom.
- Max weight capacity is 330 lbs
- Strong stainless steel construction that won’t corrode or rust in the water.
- Mounts to wall for easy and firm grip without fear of falling.
- Concealed mounting flanges
- Made of 18 gauge 304 grade stainless steel
- 90° bend provides comfortable and secure grip both horizontally and vertically.
- Toilet grab bar using SUS 304 stainless steel interior molding. Anti corrosive, hard to rust and non-toxic.
- Ergonomic stainless steel construction resistant to corrosion by water.
- The bathroom safety bars provide sturdy support aids in standing and sitting.
- Ideal for people who need support to lean on when standing and when getting up.
- T-shaped handicap rails is mounts to wall and floor design, to help user keep balance in the bathroom.
- 24-Inch shower grab bar with 1.26-Inch diameter
- Durable and sturdy design.
- Safe, reliable, sturdy, durable, strong load-bearing, anti-rust, fashion
- SUS304 stainless steel bathroom grab bar, effective anti-rust, strong, good stability.
- Hidden screw design can cover all unsightly screw holes. Keep your bathroom clean, seamless, stylish.
- Safely support up to 500 pounds of pulling force.
- The non-slip soft rubber grip is provided in the middle, strong anti-slip performance.
- Nice, safe design without the presence of any sharp edges.
- Corrosion and rust resistant stainless steel construction.
- Useful for assisting elderly and disabled people daily.
- Can be flipped up by 90° to make space or keep it out of the way.
- Can support a good deal of weight given it is correctly installed on to the wall.
- High quality floor to ceiling support grab bar.
- Supports a good deal of weight and stress being put on it.
- Great for use in the bathroom or anywhere else in the house.
- Helps frail people transition between standing and sitting.
- Great for grabbing and leaning on when in the shower.
- Useful for getting up from, or sitting down on, the toilet.
- Height can be adjusted for personalized comfort and use.
- Rubber pads on both ends prevent damage to the floor and ceiling.
- Versatile design and adaptable to various rooms for various purposes.
- Easy installation without having to permanently alter your home.
- Unique design makes this grab bar easy to hold on to.
- Copper finish gives a sleek, different look.
- Comes attached with soap basket for easy access during showers.
- Sturdy and rust resistant and can hold up heavy people safely.
- Compact design and can be installed anywhere.
- Brushed nickel finish combines a warm, brownish hue to the classic nickel to coordinate with any decor.
- Grab bars have been designed and tested to provide leverage and support for up to 500 pounds, exceeding ADA requirements
- Zinc die cast and 304 stainless steel construction for strength and durability
- Screws are concealed behind covers for a clean, modern look.
- Delta Grab and Assist Bars.
That wraps up our list for shower and bathroom grab bars. As you can see, there’s no shortage of choice, and you are sure to find the exact design, color, material, and finish you’re looking for. Now you have a good head start on fellow caregivers and bathroom designers.