A lot of people are experiencing dryness and cracking on different areas of their feet’s skin. These skin conditions are usually caused by numerous factors, including poor diet, bad foot hygiene, and overuse of the feet for work or exercise. Luckily, treating dryness and cracking on the skin of your feet is relatively easy to treat, as all you really have to do is to keep the skin moisturized.
One of the products that you should definitely have in order to moisturize your skin is the moisturizing sock. What is this product? And how can it help treat cracked and dried skin? We will know the answers as we take a closer look at moisturizing socks and their benefits.
What is a Moisturizing Sock?
A moisturizing sock is a type of sock that is designed to keep your feet moisturized if you are walking or running barefoot or with shoes on. Moisturizing socks are available for purchase in department stores and specialty stores, although you can also easily buy them online.
These moisturizing socks look like regular socks at first glance, but once you take a look inside each moisturizing sock, you will see the thin pockets where moisturizing lotion or cream can be applied. These thin pockets or holes allow the moisturizing lotion or cream to remain on the feet’s skin for a much longer time, thus becoming more effective in keeping the feet moisturized.
How Does a Moisturizing Sock Work?
In order for us to understand how moisturizing socks work, we would need to take a look at the two types of moisturizing socks that are available in the market. Here are some details about these two types:
- Moisturizing Sock with Lotion or Cream – this type of sock has lotion or cream in its interior. So, with this sock, you don’t have to apply moisturizing cream or lotion on your feet since the sock will already do it for you. The cream or lotion is combined with a polymer gel that makes the moisturizing capabilities of the cream or lotion last longer. Besides lotion or cream, the moisturizing sock may also have essential oils infused into it that will help make the skin healthier.
- Moisturizing Sock without Lotion or Cream – this type of moisturizing sock doesn’t have lotion or cream in its interior, but it is still capable of allowing a moisturizing product to last longer on the skin of the feet. The advantage of this type of sock is that you have a choice of what specific products you want to apply to your feet before putting on the sock.
The first type of moisturizing sock is an improved version of the classic method of putting petroleum jelly on the feet before putting on socks. However, the jelly or gel that is included with the sock is a lotion or cream that is more effective in moisturizing the skin without side effects like skin irritation and inflammation.
On the other hand, the second type of moisturizing sock may look like a regular sock, but it is made from materials that lock in the moisturizing cream or lotion that you will use on your feet. Choosing a specific type of moisturizing sock would depend on your preference. If you have a preferred moisturizing product, then the moisturizing sock without lotion or cream is more suitable for you. However, if you want to have a faster time putting on socks, the other type that already has a moisturizer is what you will need.
How Do You Use Moisturizing Socks?
Using or wearing moisturizing socks is very easy, although you will need to follow specific steps to ensure that their moisturizing capabilities would be more effective on your feet’s skin. Here are the steps to follow when it comes to using moisturizing socks.
- Before putting on moisturizing socks, you would need to make sure that your feet are clean so that no dirt or grime can affect the effectiveness of the socks. You can wash your feet using soap and water, but it would be better if you could use a scrub or pumice stone to get rid of dead skin cells. Use a towel to dry your feet afterward.
- If you are using a pair of moisturizing socks that have polymer gel inside, you can skip this step. But if you are using the other type of moisturizing sock, you would have to apply your moisturizing lotion or cream of choice. Apply the moisturizer in different areas of your foot, from your toes to your heels.
- Before the moisturizer dries off, you would need to put on the moisturizing socks so that the lotion or cream you applied will be locked inside the socks, thus enabling them to have a slower evaporation time.
- You can leave the moisturizing socks on your feet for about 30 minutes to an hour. However, if you are going to use the socks like regular socks inside shoes, you can leave them on for much longer, although their moisturizing effect can only last for a few hours. If you are going to wear the socks indoors while walking barefoot, you may need to wear socks that have non-slip soles so that your feet will have a better grip on the floor.
If you are experiencing constant dryness and cracking in the heels and other parts of your feet’s skin, then it would be best for you to try out moisturizing socks as soon as possible. Try out the best moisturizing socks on the market to see if it is really effective in moisturizing the feet’s skin and keeping it healthy.