If you have goals of improving your health and wellness this year, you’ve come to the right place. We are constantly looking for ways to dive deeper into the world of wellness to keep ourselves looking and feeling our best. If you are looking for some tips and tricks on how to achieve a better state of wellness, keep reading.
Starting Your Day
The most important part of your wellness routine is what you do upon waking. What you do in the morning hours sets the tone for the rest of your day. It will determine your mood and productivity levels as well as how much energy you have. This is why it is important to make sure you have a solid wellness routine that you can follow every morning. You know yourself best, so start by thinking of things that you need to do in the morning to get your day started off on the best foot. This can look different for everyone depending on factors such as the type of work you do or whether or not you are a morning person. If you need some suggestions to get you started, here are some standard things that everyone should do during their morning routine.
- Don’t Hit Snooze: A simple way to get your day started on the right foot is by not abusing the snooze button. Experts agree that the routine of falling in and out of sleep while hitting snooze isn’t good for our mood or energy levels. Instead, set your alarm for when you need to be up so you don’t get tempted. This may be annoying at first, but once you get into the habit it will feel like second nature.
- Give Yourself Time: There is nothing that is more detrimental to our health and wellness than chronic stress, especially at the start of the day. Make sure you have plenty of time to accomplish everything that you need before heading off to work so you don’t feel rushed. This way you are not running around and causing yourself unnecessary stress.
- Stretch: Doing a series of morning stretches is a great way to start the day. You can even do this before you get out of bed. Focus on your breathing as you do your morning stretches and take your time with each one.
- Hydrate: Once you are up and out of bed, you’ll want to start your daily water consumption right away. Drinking plenty of water is key for optimal wellness, so make sure you have a reusable water bottle on hand to help you hit your hydration goals.
- Eat a Good Breakfast: If you are a chronic breakfast skipper, try expanding your wellness routine by breaking that habit. Eating in the mornings will help get your metabolism going and keep your energy levels up throughout the day. Make sure your breakfast is nutrient rich and contains a good balance of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs.
- Food Before Caffeine: If you like to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or tea, make sure you aren’t doing it on an empty stomach. Caffeine can cause irritation in many people if not accompanied by food.
Keep Yourself Going
Once you get your day started right, you want to make sure you keep yourself going as the day continues. Incorporating things like physical activity, self-care, and self-reflection are key to promoting wellness. Try to keep yourself moving during the day, especially if you have a desk job. This will help you avoid the midday slump. Try and take a walk around your office every hour or so, or invest in a standing desk or walking pad. If you work from home, you can do some light stretching or yoga when you have a break.
If you are an athlete who trains a lot, you may also benefit from foot massage sessions. If you are interested, you may read our Guide to Selecting Foot Massagers for Runners and Athletes.
You should also make sure that you are not skipping lunch. If you are not a chronic breakfast skipper, you may be a chronic lunch skipper. But, eating lunchl is just as important to keep your energy levels up during the work day. Same rules apply as they did for breakfast: you need a healthy fat, a complex carb, and a good source of protein.
Make Time for Yourself
Something that you always want to do for maximum wellness is make time for yourself. It is all too easy to get caught up in the hustle of daily life, but carving out a part of each day to do something for you is important to keep yourself motivated. This time can be used for a workout, a social outing, a nap, or just about anything that makes you happy. Let’s make 2023 a year full of wellness and self-care!
Getting a massage at home is also another way to make time for yourself. You may check out our guide to Choosing the Best Massager for Your Back for some of the best recommendations.